Saturday, May 22, 2010

Bass Solo Contest


It was already going to be a busy week! The French Open (tennis) starts tomorrow which means no days off this week and probably long work days throughout the tournament. I have to record a simple version of a song I wrote this week for posterity before I forget it. I am feverishly trying to finish an ambitious (for me) flash photo gallery for my one of my few web design clients. I have to finish the blog you’re reading and write next week’s as well. I have just started a daily ‘Lessons Learned From the Movies’ series on my Facebook wall posts which does take up a small amount of time each day and I want to keep going for at least a month…

Then, this landed in my lap:


The NPR Blog “Monitor Mix” is sponsoring a bass solo contest!

I’m so there!

I have decided to submit for the contest a remake of the video I recently posted: “Rain Don’t Follow the Plow”. I also thought of the more virtuosic “Actually That Is a Banana In My Pocket” but, A. I don’t think I can redo a clean version in the time I have but more importantly… B. I know that a bass solo contest is going to be flooded with bass shredders that will be doing very similar things.

I need to stand out.

‘Rain’ is not technically a bass solo. It’s a song with vocals to bass accompaniment. The bass accompaniment is pretty remarkable on it’s own and there is a bass solo within the song. Solo bass/bass solo, tomāto/tomăto… I suspect the poor production assistant that has to screen all those bass solo submissions will be delighted to hear an actual song that happens to have some serious and unusual bass chops featured within in the universal appeal of the blues and lyrics that present some very NPR-friendly Americana and at least pass it on to the next level.
Like this, but better sung, played and produced.

This is the other tune I was considering… Nah, I suspect most everyone else will be doing this shred hero stuff.

The problem is…  No, no… The ‘problems are’ that, as you can see, with a deadline of  next Friday, I only have a six days to submit my entry. Right smack in the middle of the French Open.

Next; all my gear—amps, effects, recording equipment and lucky mousey cat toy— is presently at the ‘Pool House’ –my defacto studio at my in-laws’ place in Highland, 75 miles from our apartment.

Normally, I have my Tuesday/Wednesday weekend to go out to the Pool House and record a video. Now it will be a challenge just to find the time to drive out there, find a way to fit it all in my little car at the same time and get it back to my apartment.

The apartment is challenge number three: In order to record my particular sound, a certain, rather high level of volume is preferred if not required. That will be difficult in my building, nor would it be practical where I work, especially during the French Open. Unless I can find a place that’s not too far away and free, I will have to make due in my apartment.

I know all these things can be overcome in the next week. As you can see I have already made my blog shorter to save time. It’s going to be a stretch but I am energized to say the least and Audra has already shown me tremendous support!

I don’t really know what chance I have at this contest, but I'm optimistic. It’s hard to say how many entries there will be and they don’t even mention how many finalists will make it to the blog to be voted on by users. I’d say ten is a good guess. The prize is just some NPR merch but the exposure, just to be a finalist on the blog, would surely be a nice little mountain for my career to stick it's flag in. It would be a good boost, a good start. I have a good feeling about this. If nothing else it's got me in motion.

With some luck (and a new set of strings) I really think I could make the finals!

Wish me luck!  ..or send me some bass strings.

No comments: