Friday, August 13, 2010

Day 3 -Little Rock Arkansas to Kentucky/West Virginia Border

iPhones are wonderful things but certainly not infallible. I need to remember that the next time I'm looking for a Radio Shack in Central Arkansas. We needed to replace the aux cable that connects our iPods/phones to the sound system in the rental car (which we named "Fletch" today). We naturally used our iPhone map app to find the closest Radio Shack. We followed the directions to a 'T'. I should have been suspicious when the directions had us turn off at "so-and-so lane" past a yard sale where the exact address was some dudes (or dudette's) house.

On our way back to the freeway, while scratching our heads and wonder if we should trust the iPhone to send us on another wild Shack chase, we happened to see the real Radio Shack in a shopping center a way back from the main road. We proceeded onward with our tunes sounding better than ever.

It just wouldn't be a day on the road without a little drama: I noticed this morning that I had not received a tracking number for my CDs so I called the manufacturer and learned they had not gone out yet. I reminded them--kindly and calmly--that I had the first case sent Overnight for the express purpose of having it available for my gig on Sunday. They apologized profusely and said they would put a Saturday delivery sticker on the package.

Ah, all is wonderful again...

Not quite. I just tried to track the package and the UPS site told me to "verify my information and check back later". Hmmmm. Wait wait, hold the iPhones...  Aha, that was the other package that is being shipped two-day. There was a second email with the important tracking number and that one looks good so far.

If I've learned anything the past two days it's 'assume nothing'.

We used our first and probably last blue highway today. Route 51 from Memphis to the Kentucky border. It was recommended by our Rand McNally Highway Atlas as a good scenic drive. It was pretty nice but nothing spectacular. The best part was getting lost in Dyersburg, TN and seeing some very quaint quiet little neighborhoods. We almost wanted to park the car, go up on one of the many porches with wicker rockers and 'set fer a spell'.

We also indulged in some corn dogs tater tots and cherry limeade at a Sonic in that same town.

I am glad we decided to take our scenic routes after all. It became a matter of knowing we would regret it if we didn't see these places when we had the chance.

Sorry I haven't had any pictures. My other half has been taking all of them with the real camera and they will have to be worked on a bit before we post them, but post them we shall. I have been busy driving and since we lost nearly 30 hours at the beginning of our trip stopping has been for fuel, food and rest stops only.

We made our way across Kentucky mostly in the dark and checked in to this hotel at 1AM. We will be embarking on our last leg in just a few short hours.



Tomorrow I will be in my hometown for the first time in almost three years and hopefully have a copy of my CD in my hands.

See you then!

No comments: